Anyone can buy an ordinary white light bulb, but lighting can make a fashion statement in your home just as easily. Besides, a home is not a dental office, so why light it that way? Lighting can create more drama for less money than redecorating, and it’s much easier to change.
Take a look at the living room.
Focus your efforts on one room at a time, starting with the living room or great room with these ideas:
- create smaller areas for different activities
- use small lamps with subtly colored bulbs to create a relaxation area
- place a spotlight under a plant or a piece of art to create drama
- use a lamp with a bright light for reading near a chair
Make the dining room more inviting.
The right lighting can make the dining area a warm and comfortable place that encourages conversation. Relaxing at dinner is a perfect opportunity to enjoy family time together. To enhance the dining area, try these suggestions:
- select a chandelier that matches your home décor
- use dimmers to create a calm atmosphere
- install window treatments to control natural light
- add an accent lamp in a Tiffany, contemporary or traditional design
Tackle the bathroom.
As one of the most frequently used rooms in a home, your bathroom can make routine hygiene chores a little more enjoyable. You need bright lights for the mirror, but you can use subtle lighting elsewhere that creates a feeling of luxury and relaxation.
- Choose a standing lamp near the toilet for reading
- Put small candles around the bathtub for a luxurious bath experience
Light up the kitchen.
As the center of activity in many homes, the kitchen is much more than just a place to prepare meals. Enhance your kitchen with these lighting ideas:
- Use fluorescent lighting under the cabinets for plenty of light for food prep
- Create a small desk area with a gooseneck lamp where you can read while you wait for a pot to boil
Highlight your entryway.
Increased safety is a worthy benefit of proper entryway lighting. Arriving guests immediately feel welcome, and your house number is easy to see. Low voltage lights or those with solar power can line a walkway to the front door.
Assume the role of a potential home buyer when you assess the lighting in your home. Even though you might not be planning to sell, you can make your home more attractive and more functional with creative lighting.
Post Author: andyc.