Spring is a traditional time for giving the home a thorough cleaning after the long months of living indoors to escape the cold. A clean spring is easily obtainable with these simple tips and a bit of extra care.
1. Harness the power of steam to clean your microwave — Use a hand steam cleaner to soften caked-on food so it simply wipes away.
2. Remove allergens by vacuuming your sofa and mattress — Freshen fabric surfaces by giving sofa, upholstered chairs and mattresses a thorough vacuuming.
3. Use vinegar and water to remove stubborn carpet stains — Simple vinegar and water helps disinfect, and the odor dissipates quickly, leaving your carpet clean and fresh.
4. Remove hard water deposits from your dishwasher with powdered drink mix — Just fill up the cup with a powdered drink mix that contains citric acid, and run the machine to remove filmy water deposits.
5. Sanitize your bathroom using tea tree oil —Tea tree oil is a natural way to clean bathroom surfaces without the toxic chemicals that can irritate breathing passages.
6. Make your grout look new again with an old toothbrush and hydrogen peroxide — Use an old toothbrush and hydrogen peroxide to inexpensively remove soap scum, dirt and oils from grout surfaces.
7. Clean mirrors and windows with newspaper — No need to use costly paper towels for glass cleaning chores. Save your newspapers to give windows and mirrors a lovely shine.
8. Scrub copper pots and pans with a lemon and coarse salt — Instead of paying for pricey copper cleaners, use a cut lemon and coarse salt to scrub off dull stains.
9. Use a pillowcase to clean your ceiling fan blades without making a mess — Cover the blades with a pillowcase one at a time to keep dust and dirt from falling on bed and flooring.
10. Use baking soda and vinegar to freshen up your garbage disposal — Baking soda and vinegar can fizz off caked-on grime from disposer blades and leave your kitchen smelling fresh.
11. Clean and dry your pillows in your washer and dryer without ruining them — Solve your stained and smelly pillow problem by washing in your machine in pairs in liquid detergent. Throw in a couple tennis balls and dry them on an air or low heat setting.
12. Clean and sanitize the interiors of your washer and dryer — A quick wipe-down with a vinegar-water solution removes dirt and perspiration odors to leave your machines smelling fresh.
13. Use your dryer on fluff/no heat and a dryer sheet to freshen up dry-clean only drapes — Run dry-clean only drapes on your fluff/no heat dryer setting with a dryer sheet to remove odors, dirt and allergens that can cling to fabric.
14. Polish leather furniture with coconut oil — Coconut oil is a natural, chemical-free way to clean and moisturize your leather furniture without toxic chemical residues.
15. Make your stainless steel appliances shine using dish washing liquid — Stainless steel can pick up grease, fingerprints and dirt too easily. Clean up your stainless with simple dish washing liquid and water.
16. Use inexpensive pegboards in your closet, laundry room, workroom, and garage — Pick up pegboards cheaply to keep work areas neat and organized.
Remember that a clean household runs more efficiently. Taking care of your appliances and home systems can help extend their life and ensure that they run better and longer. Should your appliances or systems break down, however, a home protection plan from American Home Shield could help you avoid having to pay high repair or replacement costs. Learn more about how American Home Shield can help you.
Post Author: andyc.